When Do You Need to Seek Urgent Pediatric Care?Apr 01, 2020
Pediatric emergencies are unpredictable, and most times, can catch you off guard. Having your child fall suddenly ill or get injured at an odd hour when you cannot reach your pediatrician is bound to leave you as a parent worried and frustrated.
Although this is the case, it is essential to understand what medical emergencies warrant you to seek out pediatric urgent care in Katy, TX.
What is Pediatric Urgent Care?
Pediatric urgent care facilities or clinics offer the much needed medical attention your child needs when you cannot reach your regular pediatrician. Any Pediatric urgent care near you will ideally stay open till midnight and will be open during the weekends.
Pediatric urgent care could save your child’s life and help you get a handle on a medical condition that could have otherwise gone so wrong.
What Constitutes Medical Emergencies?
Not all medical issues in children are treated as emergencies; some of these conditions can allow you to wait until your pediatrician opens office for them to be addressed.
Understanding what situations warrant to be termed as medical emergencies will save you unnecessary trips in search of pediatric urgent care in Katy TX or children’s urgent care clinics near you.
Here are some of the medical conditions that can qualify as urgent care emergencies
- A persistent high fever –fever serves as an indicator or symptom of an underlying medical condition such as a life-threatening infection. If your child’s temperature shoots up to 104F, then you should seek immediate pediatric urgent care. This is because, at this temperature, your child can suffer from seizures.
- Difficulties breathing – this can be quite a traumatizing medical emergency. If you notice your child is having problems breathing, breathing rapidly, or too shallow, then you need to seek medical attention promptly.
- Severe allergic reactions- some allergic reactions can be so violent and cause scenarios such as inflammation or difficulties breathing. In such cases, you need to get medical attention as soon as possible
- If your child has a fall, hits their head, and passes out.
- If you notice your child is exhibiting signs of dehydration, which may include dry lips, confusion, sluggish movements, and no urination within a 12-hour window.
- Your child has an injury you suspect might have resulted in a broken bone, especially if you notice swelling or any sign of misalignment.
- If your child has a seizure or convulsions due to a medical condition such as epilepsy
If your child is having bouts of diarrhea and vomiting that do not seem to cease. This can lead to severe dehydration and should be addressed as soon as possible, especially in infants.
- Cases of accidental poisoning or drug overdosing.
- Any sprains or cuts depending on the severity of the injury can also be regarded as an emergency medical condition in children and infants.
- Complications resulting from preexisting medical conditions such as asthma, congenital disorders, and diabetes are also treated and regarded as medical conditions requiring urgent care.
- Croup and sore throats
These are some of the medical conditions that might not allow you to wait for your pediatrician to open up office because they require urgent attention to bring them under control.
It is essential to visit a pediatric-focused urgent care facility to ensure that your child’s issue is accurately addressed in the least possible amount of time. How promptly, the medical condition is regulated can mean a whole lot of difference between life and death.
There are certain illnesses such as cold and flu, ear infections, pink eye, rashes that are troublesome but are not considered emergencies. These medical conditions can wait until you manage to schedule an appointment with your pediatrician.
Pediatric urgent care in Katy, TX, has been a more than welcome addition to the existing medical service centers.
These medical centers offer much-needed relief to parents when they are not forced to queue for long hours at Emergency response centers during odd hours or wait anxiously for pediatric offices to open to have their children treated.
At preferred Urgent Care, we are a pediatric-focused emergency facility. We have a brilliant, experienced, and friendly medical time, whose primary focus is to have your child well on their way to a full recovery.